Hickey, TX (Panola County)


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Hickey, seventeen miles southwest of Carthage in southwestern Panola County, was established in the early 1890s. A post office opened there in 1895 with Jacup Y. Hickey, after whom the community was named, as postmaster. By 1900 the settlement had a general store, a gristmill, and a cotton gin. The Hickey post office closed in 1906, and the mail was sent to Clayton. After 1910 Hickey was no longer shown on maps.

John Barnette Sanders, Postoffices and Post Masters of Panola County, Texas, 1845–1930 (Center, Texas, 1964).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Hickey, TX (Panola County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hickey-tx-panola-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Hickey
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Panola County
Associated Names

Towers