Highland Park Village, a shopping center in Dallas County, served as a prototype for other centers around the country. It is located in Highland Park, Texas, at the intersection of Preston Road and Mockingbird Lane. It was built and financed by Hugh Prather, Sr., and Edgar Flippen in 1931, to be used as both a shopping center and a town square. The sponsors traveled to Spain, California, and Mexico in search of a suitable design, and eventually selected a Mediterranean Spanish plan for which Marion F. Fooshee and James B. Cheek served as architects. The innovative idea of a one-owner cluster of stores arranged around a parking area was copied by other developers throughout the nation. Bankers and merchants were unwilling to lend the money for the development, however, because they expected business to remain downtown.
The grand opening in 1931 was an exciting event, with booths and a Ferris wheel. The original building had two grocery stores and a tearoom, among other businesses. By World War II buildings had been added to make a complete square around the parking lot, and the merchants were constantly changing. In 1951 another grand opening was held. In 1966, when the Howard Corporation bought Highland Park Village, it no longer had the high quality it was known for. This changed with the sale of the center to Henry S. Miller in 1976 for $5 million. Miller thoroughly renovated the center and upgraded the stores. In 1981 Highland Park Village celebrated "Fiesta Fifty" to commemorate its golden anniversary. In the 1990s the center had over fifty merchants, including restaurants, a baker, a department store, grocery stores, antique shops, jewelry stores, clothing boutiques, and convenience stores.