Hightower, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Hightower is on Farm Road 787 seventy-five miles northwest of Beaumont in northern Liberty County. The post office was established as Lamb in 1899 on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway and presumably named after the first postmaster, Charles C. Lamb. The community was in an area of heavy lumbering activity, and numerous tram roads marked the surrounding landscape. The Lamb community had a population of 106 in 1900. In 1912 the name of the post office was changed to Hightower, after district judge Lewis B. Hightower. Doctor and druggist J. M. Hubert served as postmaster in 1915. Hightower's estimated population had fallen to less than fifty by the 1950s. A sawmill marked the Hightower community in 1971, and scattered buildings remained at the site in 1984. In 1990 and again in 2000 Hightower reported a population of thirty.

Miriam Partlow, Liberty, Liberty County, and the Atascosito District (Austin: Pemberton, 1974).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Hightower, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hightower-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Hightower
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1382001
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Liberty County
Associated Names

Lamb

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.39159580°
  • Longitude: -94.97215350°
Population Counts
People Year
225 2009