Hitchland, TX


By: Tracey L. Compton

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Hitchland, on a local road and the Texas-Oklahoma line in northern Hansford County, was named for J. H. and Charles A. Hitch, early settlers and landowners in the vicinity. Serving an area devoted to ranching and grain-farming, Hitchland became a town when the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railway was built across the county in the 1920s. A post office was established at the townsite in July 1930, with Myrtle L. McComas as postmistress. The office was discontinued in January 1955, and local mail was routed through Guymon, Oklahoma. The Hitchland school joined the Gruver Independent School District in 1954. Hitchland reported a population of 100 in 1939 and also in 1948, when three businesses and a post office made up the community. By 1980 the population had declined to twenty-seven, and it continued to be reported at that level in the early 1990s, and it continued to be reported at that level through 2000.

Hansford County Historical Commission, Hansford County, Texas (2 vols., Dallas: Taylor, 1980?). S. G. Reed, A History of the Texas Railroads (Houston: St. Clair, 1941; rpt., New York: Arno, 1981).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Tracey L. Compton, “Hitchland, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hitchland-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Hitchland
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1374084
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hansford County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 36.49891630°
  • Longitude: -101.31849250°
Population Counts
People Year
15 2009