Hogansville is a rural community located on Farm Road 515 about five miles east of Emory in eastern Rains County. The settlement was originally called Ophelia (or Ophilia) and had a post office from 1903 to 1904. Sometime after the post office closed residents changed the name to Hogansville in honor of Hawk and Jeff Hogan. The community consisted of a general store and a school. The school, known at one time as Union Ridge School, held classes in the early 1900s until it consolidated with the nearby Pilgrim Rest School in 1920. Highway maps in the 1930s still showed the school building and scattered farms in the area. No census figures were available for the community of Hogansville until 1990 and 2000, when the population held steady at 200.