Holcombs Store, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: February 1, 1995


Holcombs Store, also known as Holcomb's Mill and Holcomb's, is near Box Creek at the junction of Farm roads 23 and 1857, nine miles southwest of Rusk in western Cherokee County. It was named for Joe Holcomb, who settled with his family in the area in 1844. Holcomb evidently built a mill, for the community was known for a time as Holcomb's Mill. A school opened there before 1900 and in 1906 had an enrollment of twenty-five. In the mid-1930s the community had a sawmill, a store, a church, and a number of houses; the Beulah school was located nearby. In the early 1990s only a church and a few scattered houses remained in the area.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Holcombs Store, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/holcombs-store-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

February 1, 1995

Place
Holcombs Store
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Cherokee County
Associated Names

-Mill

Holcomb's

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.66017600°
  • Longitude: -95.24383320°