Holland's Magazine was issued under the name Street's Weekly from 1876 through 1903, volumes 1 through 23. With volume 24, in 1905, the publication became a monthly magazine put out by Texas Farm and Ranch Publishing Company in Dallas, with Franklin P. Holland as president and general manager and Walter B. Whitman as editor. The contents usually included a number of fiction and nonfiction articles, often contributed by well-known writers; standard features, such as recipes and gardening notes; and vigorous editorials. By 1927 members of the Holland family occupied the top three positions: Frank P. Holland, Sr. (and later his wife), president; Frank P. Holland, Jr., vice president and advertising director; and R. V. Holland, secretary-treasurer. In December 1944 Mrs. Gussie Holland Lancaster became president. She was succeeded in May 1945 by Brownlee O. Curry, who took the title of chairman of the board in August 1946. By September 1952 publishing of the periodical was taken over by Holland's Magazine Company. The magazine, which had been named Holland's: The Magazine of the South beginning with volume 48, printed the last issue, volume 72, in December 1953, ending a seventy-seven-year existence.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
- Writers, Authors, Publications, and Literature
- Publications, Journals, and Magazines
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Karen Collins, “Holland's Magazine,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 27, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hollands-magazine.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.