Holly Grove, TX (Polk County)


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: February 1, 1995


Holly Grove is on a road west of Farm Road 2798 in south central Polk County some sixty miles northwest of Beaumont. The tiny community is in the thick forest of East Texas; its site was settled before the Civil War. The Holly Grove Missionary Baptist Church was organized there on January 5, 1867. In the 1980s a few scattered residences remained at Holly Grove, and Menard Creek, slightly east of the community, had been made a parkland corridor of the Big Thicket National Preserve.

A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Holly Grove, TX (Polk County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/holly-grove-tx-polk-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

February 1, 1995

Place
Holly Grove
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379947
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Polk County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.51853890°
  • Longitude: -94.70770420°
Population Counts
People Year
20 2009