Holly is at the intersection of Farm roads 1280 and 2781, seventeen miles southeast of Crockett in southern Houston County. In the late 1800s it had three churches, a school, a steam saw, and a gristmill. A Holly post office operated from 1886 to 1914 with T. H. Phipps as postmaster. In 1890 the community reported 250 residents, but the population had decreased to 100 by 1892. That year Holly had a cooperative association, two general stores, a saw and grist mill, and a doctor. By 1896 the community's population had decreased to fifty, and no businesses were reported there. Holly's population was twenty-five in 1914, when the community had a general store and one cotton and grist mill. In 1948, the last year that population figures were available for Holly, its population was twenty-five, and the town comprised numerous scattered dwellings, a business, a church, and a school. The community in 1963 had a church and scattered dwellings. The 1989 county highway map still showed the Holly townsite. In 2000 the population was 112.