Holmes, TX (Panola County)


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: February 1, 1995


Holmes was a post office community 6½ miles southeast of Carthage in southeastern Panola County. A post office opened there in 1888, with Benjamin F. Holmes as postmaster. In the early 1890s the settlement had three cotton gins, a blacksmith shop, and an estimated population of seventy. The Holmes post office closed in 1895, and mail was sent to Carthage. A school was operating at Holmes by 1897, when it had an enrollment of twenty-six. By the mid-1930s Holmes was no longer shown on the county highway maps.

John Barnette Sanders, Postoffices and Post Masters of Panola County, Texas, 1845–1930 (Center, Texas, 1964).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Holmes, TX (Panola County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/holmes-tx-panola-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

February 1, 1995

Place
Holmes
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Panola County
Associated Names

Sandy Hook

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.07294250°
  • Longitude: -94.25102950°