Hooleyan, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Hooleyan is on Farm Road 680 three miles east of the Childress county line and four miles south of the Red River in an isolated region of extreme northwest Hardeman County. It was founded in the late 1890s and supposedly named for two members of an early family. It was sometimes referred to as Hooley Ann. An early county school in the settlement served the area as a church and community center until its students were combined with those of four nearby school districts in 1927 to form the Williams High district. By 1915 Hooleyan had one store; by 1940 its population had grown to fifty, and it had two stores. The small community was listed on 1980 county maps.

Bill Neal, The Last Frontier: The Story of Hardeman County (Quanah, Texas: Quanah Tribune-Chief, 1966).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Hooleyan, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hooleyan-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Hooleyan
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1359528
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hardeman County
Associated Names

Hooley Anne

Bibles

Riley

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 34.52006540°
  • Longitude: -99.94760190°
Great Texas Land Rush logo
Adoption Status: ⭐
This place has been adopted and will not be available until June 22, 2022
Adopted by:
Hoolyan Au Naturele Medical Cannabis Co