Hopewell, TX (Upshur County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: February 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Hopewell was a farming community on the Hopewell Branch of Kelsey Creek and Farm Road 49, seven miles west of Gilmer in western Upshur County. It was one of the earliest settlements in the county. A Hopewell post office opened in 1849 and operated until 1854. A church was organized at Hopewell sometime around the Civil War and continued to operate in the late 1980s. The community, however, by the mid-1930s was no longer shown on the county highway map. A cemetery also still existed at the site in the late 1980s.

Audie Ray Stanley, Lurline Stanley, and Douglas Ray Stanley, comps. and eds., Upshur County Cemetery Records (Gilmer, Texas, 1974).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Hopewell, TX (Upshur County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hopewell-tx-upshur-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

February 1, 1995

Loading