Hopkinsville, TX (DeWitt County)


By: Craig H. Roell

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 15, 2016


Hopkinsville is four miles south of Cuero and just east of U.S. Highway 183 in central DeWitt County. The predominantly black settlement originally centered around the Antioch Baptist Church, established in 1889, and the Hopkinsville school, established in 1898. The community was named for Henry Hopkins, who donated land for the church. The school was in the Arneckeville district and was probably closed by 1950, by which time most schools in the county had been consolidated. In 1965 Hopkinsville had a church and cemetery, and the old schoolhouse had become a community center.

Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).

Categories:
  • Peoples
  • African Americans
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Craig H. Roell, “Hopkinsville, TX (DeWitt County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hopkinsville-tx-dewitt-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 15, 2016

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:


Place
Hopkinsville
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • DeWitt County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.03720040°
  • Longitude: -97.31804660°