Horton, TX (Panola County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: February 1, 1995


Horton is at the junction of Farm roads 1186 and 1794, eleven miles northeast of Carthage in northeastern Panola County. It was established around 1885 and named for T. M. Horton, a prominent early settler who in 1886 donated land for a school. In 1905 the school became part of the county public school system. In 1903 J. T. Elliot and his wife M. J. donated land for a school for black students. During the mid-1930s Horton had two schools, two stores, a church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War II its schools were consolidated with those of Carthage. By the mid-1960s a store, a church, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses still remained in the area. In the early 1990s Horton was a dispersed rural community.

Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Horton, TX (Panola County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/horton-tx-panola-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

February 1, 1995

Loading