Hot, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: February 1, 1995


Hot, nine miles north of San Augustine in southern Shelby County, had a post office from 1897 to 1908. Thomas J. Killen was postmaster there. An important focus of community life was the St. James Baptist Church, which also functioned as a school building. In 1899 the school served twenty-two black students. By 1938 the community's school had been consolidated with other schools in the area, and by 1984 Hot had ceased to exist as a named community.

Charles E. Tatum, Shelby County: In the East Texas Hills (Austin: Eakin, 1984).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Hot, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hot-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

February 1, 1995

Place
Hot
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Associated Names

Killen