Howard Lake, TX


By: Ruben E. Ochoa

Type: General Entry

Published: February 1, 1995


Howard Lake was a frontier community on Howard Lake, a natural lake, twelve miles east of Pearsall in east central Frio County. A significant portion of the land near Howard Lake was at one time granted to Henri Castro. In 1874 Blanchette's general store and Brown's butcher shop were operating in the Howard Lake community. People journeying from Pearsall to San Antonio in the 1880s often traveled past the lake. According to local tradition, a cattle trail that crisscrossed this San Antonio route was one of the original roads across Frio County; cattle drivers would camp at the lakeshore, often hiding their gold caches in the water as a precaution against raids by Indians or Mexican bandits. In 1884 the Frio County Commissioners Court designated Howard Lake as School District No. 6. In 1907 the one-teacher Howard Lake community school was attended by nineteen students. The Howard Lake community appears to have been abandoned by 1929.

Historic Frio County, 1871–1971 (Pearsall, Texas: Frio County Centennial Corporation, 1971). Frances Cox Wood, Using the Social and Historical Heritage of Pearsall, Texas, in Teaching Fourth Grade Children (M.A. thesis, Southwest Texas State Teachers College, 1953).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Ruben E. Ochoa, “Howard Lake, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/howard-lake-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

February 1, 1995

Place
Howard Lake
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Frio County
Associated Names

Miguel

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 28.84673140°
  • Longitude: -98.90714350°