Howard, also known as Old Howard, was nine miles northeast of Belton on the old Waco road in northeastern Bell County. It was founded by Silas Baggett in the early 1850s and was granted a post office in 1852. Howard was a stage stop and Chisholm Trail trading center in the 1870s, and there was a store in the community that was operated successively by James Ford, George C. Pendleton, and others. In 1884 the Howard post office was discontinued, and mail service was transferred to nearby Pendleton. The Howard school had seventeen pupils and one teacher in 1903. The community was not shown on the 1948 county highway map.