Hoyt was a railroad community a half mile southeast of Alba near what is now U.S. Highway 69 in southwestern Wood County. The community began as a station on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas line, which built through the area from Greenville to Mineola in 1881. Hoyt had a post office from 1914 to 1924. In the early 1930s the community reported one business and a population of 100; by the mid-1940s Hoyt's population had fallen to about thirty. Though the railroad line through Hoyt was closed in 1956, the community's population continued to be reported at thirty until 1966, when it dropped to twenty-six. No population figures are available for Hoyt after 1966. The community was not shown on the 1988 county highway map.