The Handbook of Texas is free-to-use thanks to the support of readers like you. Support the Handbook today.

Font size: A / A reset

Support Texas History Now

Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.

Become a TSHA Member Today »

Hubbard Creek

General Entry

Hubbard Creek rises three miles northwest of Baird in north central Callahan County (at 32°27' N, 99°26' W) and runs sixty-two miles northeast across Shackelford County to its mouth on the Clear Fork of the Brazos River, ten miles north of Breckenridge in north central Stephens County (at 32°54' N, 98°53' W). The stream is intermittent in its upper reaches. It crosses flat, flood-prone terrain with local shallow depressions, surfaced by clay and sandy loams that support water-tolerant hardwoods, conifers, and grasses. The creek is dammed to form Hubbard Creek Reservoir in Stephens County. Its tributaries are Deep and Jenkins creeks and the Salt Prong of Hubbard Creek in Shackelford County and Big Sandy Creek in western Stephens County. Hubbard Creek was named after one of the supervising surveyors of the Texas Emigration and Land Company (see PETERS COLONY). It was the site of a school established in the 1860s by an early Shackelford County pioneer rancher, J. C. Lynch. The son of Judge Ledbetter, owner of the Ledbetter Salt Works, was believed captured by Comanche Indians here in 1870. The boy was never found, though years later a man claimed to be Ledbetter's long-lost son.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Hubbard Creek,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed November 28, 2020,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.