Huber, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: February 1, 1995


Huber is on State Highway 87 seven miles northwest of Center in western Shelby County. The community received a post office in 1885 with John H. Thornton as postmaster. In 1890 the town had a gristmill, a sawmill, and a cotton gin, and in 1896 it had an estimated population of twenty-five. By 1903 the Huber school had sixty-seven pupils. The community's post office was closed in 1905. Its school in 1938 served 100 children. Huber comprised the school, a church, the sawmill, and several small businesses in 1946. By 1955 its school had been consolidated with the Timpson school district. Huber had a sawmill, two businesses, and a cemetery in 1988.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Huber, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/huber-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

February 1, 1995

Place
Huber
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379970
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Associated Names

Otho

Pleasant Grove

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.82628420°
  • Longitude: -94.32075670°
Population Counts
People Year
15 2009