Huffines, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Huffines is on Farm Road 251 eight miles southeast of Atlanta in southeastern Cass County. It was probably settled in the 1870s. When the community received a post office in 1881 it was named Huffins, for R. M. Huffines, a surveyor who lived there. In 1884 the town had a church, a school, saw and grist mills, at least two cotton gins, and a population of fifty. By 1890 the population had dwindled to thirty-five. In 1905 the post office was closed, and the mail was sent to nearby Viola. In 1983 Huffines had a church, a cemetery, a town hall, and a population reported at ninety. Both the name of the town and the family for which the town was named were referred to in local newspapers alternately as Huffins or Huffines until well into the twentieth century. In 2000 the population was 140.

Cass County Cemeteries: Texas Records (Atlanta, Texas: Cass County Genealogical Society, 1976).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Huffines, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/huffines-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Huffines
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Cass County
Associated Names

Huffins

Population Counts
People Year
140 2009