Hughes, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Hughes, between Spring Creek and the Middle Concho River in east central Irion County, was named after Duwain E. Hughes, on whose ranch the settlement was located. The Hughes community was receiving its mail from Tankersley in Tom Green County in the early 1950s; the townsite was not shown on later maps.

Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, The Encyclopedia of Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas, 1982). Irion County Historical Society, A History of Irion County, Texas (San Angelo: Anchor, 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Hughes, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hughes-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Hughes
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Irion County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.29683170°
  • Longitude: -100.73760200°