Hughey, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: November 30, 2017


Font size: A / A reset

Hughey, on State Highway 42 and Farm Road 1252, six miles southwest of Longview in central Gregg County, was established around 1850. The small settlement boomed briefly in the 1930s after oil was discovered in the East Texas oilfield. In 1950 Hughey included Higher Elementary School, Barber Memorial Presbyterian Church, and several stores. The community later declined, and in the early 1990s only a few scattered dwellings remained at the site.

Eugene W. McWhorter, Traditions of the Land: The History of Gregg County (Longview, Texas: Gregg County Historical Foundation, 1989).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Hughey, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hughey-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
November 30, 2017

Loading