The Hull oilfield is west of Farm Road 770 and forty miles northwest of Beaumont in eastern Liberty County. Although the Sun Oil Company located a salt dome in the area in 1908, ten years elapsed before the Republic Production Company brought in the first producing well at Hull, at 5,000 feet. From 330,000 barrels in 1918, production jumped to eight million barrels in 1921. It tapered off thereafter, although another major field, New Hull, was discovered in 1935. The original Hull field caused a boom in Hull and Daisetta, which had a combined population of some 4,000 during the 1930s. In 1984, though the boom days had long since ended, the Hull field continued to yield more than 630,000 barrels of oil a year and sizable quantities of casinghead gas. Much of the increase in production during these years was due to the extensive engineering work carried out in the area. Cumulative production as of 1984 had exceeded 180,000,000 barrels.