Humble, TX (Wilbarger County)


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Humble, also known as South Vernon, was several miles south of the site of Vernon in west central Wilbarger County. It became an instant boomtown when oil was discovered in the area in 1923, but a slump in petroleum prices several years later led to Humble's abandonment. The South Vernon school was established in the area in 1924 and was active until it was annexed by South Lockett in 1936.

Wilbarger County Historical Commission, Wilbarger County (Lubbock, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Humble, TX (Wilbarger County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/humble-tx-wilbarger-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Humble
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Wilbarger County
Associated Names

South Vernon