Huntley, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: February 1, 1995


Huntley (Huntly) was on the Sabine River at the site that is now Orange, thirty miles east of Beaumont in Orange County. In May 1840 Thomas S. McFarland noted that a town named for Memucan Hunt, a member of the joint United States-Texas boundary commission, was being laid out at the site. The commission's report and maps also mention Huntley, but subsequent accounts refer to the area as Green's Bluff, Madison, or Orange.

Frederick Charles Chabot, ed., McFarland Journal (Yanaguana Society Publications 8, San Antonio, 1942). Madeleine Martin, "Ghost Towns of the Lower Sabine River," Texas Gulf Historical and Biographical Record 2 (1966). Texas Surveyors Association Historical Committee, Three Dollars Per Mile: Accounts of Early Surveying in Texas (Burnet, Texas: Eakin Press, 1981).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Huntley, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 19, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/huntley-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
February 1, 1995

Place
Huntley
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Orange County
Associated Names

Huntly

Orange