Huntoon, TX

By: H. Allen Anderson

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Huntoon, on State Highway 15 in northeastern Ochiltree County, was laid out in 1919 on the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway and named for Joel M. Huntoon, a former director of the railway. A general store and a grain elevator were built in 1927, but by 1933 the store had closed. A post office operated in Huntoon from 1921 until the 1930s. In 1948 the school was discontinued, when Booker, five miles east, absorbed part of the school district. In 1984 and 1990 Huntoon had a population of twenty-one and no businesses.

A History of Lipscomb County, Texas, 1876–1976 (Lipscomb, Texas: Lipscomb County Historical Survey Committee, 1976). Texas Almanac, 1984–85.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

H. Allen Anderson, “Huntoon, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 20, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/huntoon-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Loading