Hurnville, TX

By: Brian Hart

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Hurnville is on Farm Road 1197 eight miles north of Henrietta in north central Clay County. It was founded about 1890 and within a few years was populated predominantly by recently arrived Russians of German descent. A post office served the community from 1891 until 1905, and the immigrant settlers established a German Baptist church in 1894. In 1936 Hurnville had a population of twenty and two businesses. The population stayed the same, but by the mid-1960s no businesses operated locally. The population in 1990 was fifteen. That figure remained unchanged in 2000.

William Charles Taylor, A History of Clay County (Austin: Jenkins, 1972).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Brian Hart, “Hurnville, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 02, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hurnville-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Loading