Hutto is on the Missouri Pacific Railroad at the intersection of State Highway 79 and Farm Road 1660, near Cottonwood Creek seven miles east of Round Rock in south central Williamson County. The International-Great Northern Railroad, the first railroad in Williamson County, reached the site of Hutto in 1876 and purchased five acres of land for Hutto Station from James Emory Hutto, a local rancher. The following year the community, which soon changed its name to Hutto, had a railroad depot, a post office, a general store, and a lumber business. By 1884 Hutto had 200 inhabitants, a school, three churches, and five gins and shipped cotton and grain. A bank and a hotel opened in the early 1890s, and the population reached 700 in 1896, when Hutto was described as an "important cotton market" by the Texas State Gazetteer. Many of the inhabitants and the local farmers were German, Danish, or Swedish immigrants, and the town had a Swedish church in 1896. In the 1890s Hutto had two weekly papers, the Church Helper and the Hutto Enterprise. After reaching a peak population of 900 in 1928, Hutto was hard-hit by the Great Depression and the decline of the cotton industry. By 1931 the population had fallen to 538. The town was incorporated in 1940, when it had 579 inhabitants. In the 1960s the population dropped to 400, and the town had nine businesses in 1970. The community revived over the next two decades and had 842 inhabitants and seventeen businesses in 1988. In 1990 the population was 630. By 2000 the population had almost doubled to 1,250.