Huxley is on Farm Road 2694 eighteen miles from Center in eastern Shelby County. It was founded about 1890 and received a post office in 1903 with Joseph Hooper as postmaster; the post office operated until 1905. In 1938 the community had a school with 100 students. In 1945 it had a store, a church, and a population of fifty. Toledo Bend Reservoir was constructed nearby in the 1960s. Huxley was incorporated in 1969 as an attempt by local broiler growers to avoid the high prices charged by petroleum gas companies. In order to secure the required number of inhabitants for incorporation, the city limits were run down the center of the road, then would loop out to surround a house whose owners wanted to subscribe to the gas service offered by the city. In 1970 the town had a population of 302 and in 1990 the population was 335. By 2000 the population dropped to 298. The town has had several businesses and three marinas over the years.