Hyman, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Hyman was on Farm Road 2183 twenty-seven miles southwest of Colorado City in southwestern Mitchell County. It was the site of the last school district to be organized in the county—in 1923—and was named after Mr. and Mrs. Harry Hyman, who donated the school lot. By 1930 eighty students were enrolled from the district, which covered eighty-four square miles. A post office was established at the community in September 1924 with Sarah M. Hyman as postmistress; it stayed open until around 1947, when the town reported two businesses and fifty residents. In 1945 the local school district was broken up and divided by the Colorado City, Westbrook, and Forsan schools. Hyman was the site of a radio navigation station for military aviation. The station was decommissioned with the closing of Webb Air Force Base in Big Spring. In 2000 three families still lived in the community, and the abandoned navigation station, a cemetery, and the ruins of a church remained at the Hyman townsite.

Lore and Legend: A Compilation of Documents Depicting the History of Colorado City and Mitchell County (Colorado City Record, 1976).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Hyman, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/hyman-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Hyman
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378477
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Mitchell County
Associated Names

H.S. Ranch

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.13818170°
  • Longitude: -101.13511610°