Idlewilde, TX


By: Lula Lee McMeans

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Idlewilde was on the Medina River off U.S. Highway 90, twenty miles west of downtown San Antonio in western Bexar County. It was named for a town in New York by Thomas Donkin (or Dunkin), who arrived from New York in 1879. During that year Donkin interested community residents in building a school, and he became its first teacher. The one-teacher elementary school became known as Delta School. A post office operated at the community from 1887 to 1902 and briefly in 1908. In the 1930s Idlewilde had a flag station, a school, and a few houses, but by the 1950s the settlement was no longer shown on maps.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Lula Lee McMeans, “Idlewilde, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/idlewilde-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Idlewilde
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bexar County
Associated Names

Ivanhoe

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.32599200°
  • Longitude: -98.78717100°