Ike, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Ike is on Farm Road 878 three miles north of Waxahachie in central Ellis County. It was originally located near the banks of Grove Creek and probably settled sometime in the late 1880s or early 1890s. For years rumors circulated that the area near Ike was a favorite hiding place for the cash and goods stolen by bankrobbers. An Ike post office began in 1898 and was closed five years later. Throughout its history Ike has served as a school and church community for area farmers. From the mid-1920s until the 1960s the reported population was twenty-five. That number decreased to ten in the 1970s and remained at that figure through 2000.

Edna Davis Hawkins, et al., History of Ellis County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1972).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Ike, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ike-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Ike
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378479
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Ellis County
Associated Names

Bluff Grove

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.40375290°
  • Longitude: -96.77027290°
Population Counts
People Year
50 2009