Indian Springs, TX


By: Laurie E. Jasinski

Type: General Entry

Published: May 26, 2005


Indian Springs was a small rural community located in central Polk County. A post office named Indian Springs opened on April 4, 1872, with Henry Hutto as postmaster. It operated for about two years. In 1892 residents established a school. Highway maps in the 1930s showed homes in the area. No further information was available about the historic community.

By the early 1980s another community by the name of Indian Springs existed east of Livingston. This real estate development in south central Polk County was named for nearby springs. In 2000 this community had 250 residents.

A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Heritage Committee of the Polk County Bicentennial Committee and the Polk County Historical Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Laurie E. Jasinski, “Indian Springs, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/indian-springs-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

May 26, 2005

Place
Indian Springs
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Polk County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.68498500°
  • Longitude: -94.74281200°
Population Counts
People Year
785 2010
865 2019