Ingram is on Highway 27 and the Guadalupe River at the confluence of Johnson and Indian creeks, seven miles west of Kerrville in central Kerr County. The surrounding land was granted by the state to John Twohig in 1847. J. C. W. Ingram bought six acres in 1879, opened a store and post office, and gave the town its name. The early settlers, mostly farmers, milled and ginned their crops at Sherman's Mill between Ingram and Hunt and made shingles from the plentiful cypress trees. Later, sheep, goats, and cattle were brought in, and ranching became part of the economy. In later years deer hunting became a business in the area, and still later exotics from several foreign countries were imported for hunting. Beginning in the 1920s, because of the healthful climate and beauty of the Guadalupe River and countryside, the resort business became important to Ingram. In 1958 the Hill Country Arts Foundation, a nonprofit educational organization that combines art studios and theater for adults and young people, was begun at Ingram. In 1988 the town's population was 1,441. In 1990 it was 1,408. By 2000 the population was 1,740.