Ironosa, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Ironosa was on Arenosa and Big Iron Ore creeks and Farm Road 711, ten miles northwest of San Augustine in northwestern San Augustine County. It is believed to be named for nearby Arenosa Creek. The community received a post office in 1884 and by 1890 had an estimated 100 inhabitants, three general stores, a sawmill-gristmill, and a mill and gin. By 1896 Ironosa had a Baptist church. The post office closed in 1916. In the 1930s the community was on the Frost Industries Lumber Tram line, and in 1940 it had a few scattered dwellings. By the 1980s Ironosa was no longer listed on state highway maps.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Ironosa, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 19, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ironosa-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Ironosa
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1889699
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • San Augustine County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.61323510°
  • Longitude: -94.24186610°