Jackson Chapel, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: February 1, 1995


Jackson Chapel, off Farm Road 59 ten miles southwest of Athens in southwestern Henderson County, was first settled by John and Elizabeth Wafer Jackson, who in 1854 moved to the area from Mississippi. At one time there was a combination church and school at the site, but by the mid-1930s only an abandoned school building and a few houses remained. In the early 1980s there were still a few scattered houses in the area, among them Jackson's original dogtrot house.

Old Homes of Henderson County (Athens, Texas: Henderson County Historical Commission, 1982).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Jackson Chapel, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/jackson-chapel-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

February 1, 1995

Place
Jackson Chapel
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Henderson County