The Handbook of Texas is free-to-use thanks to the support of readers like you. Support the Handbook today.

Font size: A / A reset

Support Texas History Now


Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.

Become a TSHA Member Today »

Jackson, Charles W. (unknown–1841)

Biography Entry

Charles W. Jackson, organizer of the Regulators, a native of Kentucky, was a steamboat captain on the Mississippi and Red rivers and owner of a store at Shreveport, Louisiana, before he became a fugitive from justice and established residence in Shelby County, Texas. When he was defeated as a candidate for the Texas Congress, he blamed persons whom he accused of counterfeiting headright certificates to engage in land fraud; he also stated an intention to expose corruption in the General Land Office. When Jackson was brought to trial late in 1840 for the murder of Joseph G. Goodbread, the courtroom was so filled with armed spectators that Judge John M. Hansford refused to sit. After he was acquitted, Jackson organized his followers into the Regulators, and the resulting feud with their opposition on the land-title question was known as the Regulator-Moderator War. In 1841 Jackson himself was waylaid and killed, an act that increased the hostilities and sustained the war.

John Warren Love, The Regulator-Moderator Movement in Shelby County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1936). John W. Middleton, History of the Regulators and the Moderators (Fort Worth: Loving, 1883). Oran M. Roberts, "The Shelby War, or the Regulators and the Moderators," Texas Magazine, August 1897.

Categories:

  • Law, Law Enforcement, and Outlaws
  • Outlaws, Criminals, Prostitutes, Gamblers, and Rebels

Time Periods:

  • Republic of Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Jackson, Charles W.,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 22, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/jackson-charles-w.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

Loading