Jackson, TX (Shelby County)


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Jackson, on State Highway 7 four miles south of Joaquin in northeastern Shelby County, was established in the 1890s and named for T. W. Jackson, a local resident. Its school served forty-eight students in 1899 and 102 by 1938. By 1946 the Jackson school had been consolidated with that of Joaquin, and Jackson consisted of a store, a filling station, and three residences. In 1988 it had a church, a cemetery, a business, and widely scattered houses.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Jackson, TX (Shelby County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/jackson-tx-shelby-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Jackson
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379994
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.93405740°
  • Longitude: -94.05991440°
Population Counts
People Year
50 2009