Jamaica Beach, TX

By: Diana J. Kleiner

Type: General Entry

Published: February 1, 1995


Jamaica Beach is on Farm Road 3005 and West Bay just south of Galveston Island State Park on Galveston Island, southwest Galveston County. The site, that of a former Karankawa burial ground, was developed in 1957 by Johnny Goyen and Earl Galceran of the Jamaica Corporation, as a resort subdivision by a marina. The 2,000-lot development, which attracted Houston buyers, was incorporated on May 12, 1975. By 1978 it had a population of 141, and in 1988 it reached 446 residents but had no businesses. In 1990 the population was 624. The population grew to 1,075 in 2000.

Earl Wesley Fornell, The Galveston Era: The Texas Crescent on the Eve of Secession (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1961). Galveston County, Texas: An Economic Base Study (University of Houston Center for Research on Business and Economics, 1965). Ray Miller, Ray Miller's Galveston (Houston: Cordovan Press, 1983).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Diana J. Kleiner, “Jamaica Beach, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 21, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/jamaica-beach-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

February 1, 1995

Loading