James, TX (Shelby County)


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


James, six miles northeast of Center on State Highway 7 in northeastern Shelby County, was probably established around 1890. It was named for James Rushing, who served as postmaster when the community post office was in operation from 1901 to 1905. In 1938 the community had a school that served a district with fifty-one students; around this time the town also reported one rated business and an estimated population of forty-five. In 1988 James had two churches, two businesses, and scattered residences.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “James, TX (Shelby County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/james-tx-shelby-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
James
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379996
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.85933770°
  • Longitude: -94.11575030°
Population Counts
People Year
75 2009