Janes, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: February 1, 1995


Janes, on the Pecos and Northern Texas Railway two miles southeast of the site of present Muleshoe in Bailey County, was established in 1912 by E. K. Warren. It was probably named for members of the Janes family, early settlers and landowners in the area. In 1913 a post office was granted to the community. Janes gradually grew to include a store, a bank, and a hotel, which was moved by James Johnson from the old town of Hurley. When the railroad built its station at Muleshoe rather than at Janes, the latter community declined. The Janes post office was moved to Muleshoe in May 1914, and its businesses soon followed. After Muleshoe became the county seat, the Janes community ceased to exist.

LaVonne McKillip, ed., Early Bailey County History (Muleshoe, Texas, 1978). Thelma Lee Stevens, History of Bailey County (M.A. thesis, Texas Technological College, 1939).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Janes, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/janes-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
February 1, 1995

Place
Janes
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bailey County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 34.20660200°
  • Longitude: -102.69416800°