Jarvis, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Jarvis was on the Texas State Railroad at the intersection of two country roads just south of U.S. Highway 84, some ten miles east of Palestine in southeastern Anderson County. The community was the site of an unsuccessful oil-drilling operation in 1909. In the 1930s it had a number of dwellings, two churches, and one business. A 1982 map showed a few scattered dwellings at Jarvis, while a church, called Fields Chapel, was located a half mile north on U.S. Highway 84. By 1985 Jarvis was no longer named on the county highway map, though the church still stood.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Jarvis, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/jarvis-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Jarvis
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379998
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Anderson County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.75517250°
  • Longitude: -95.44495110°