Jasper Collegiate Institute


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Jasper Collegiate Institute, at Jasper, was organized on November 24, 1851. Trustees included several prominent county residents including Randolph C. Doom. The institute's charter explained that it was organized for the "promotion of useful knowledge and the advancement of the sciences." Under the able leadership of its first president, Marcus A. Montrose, the nondenominational institute flourished during the 1850s, attracting a number of scholars and boarders. Subsequent supervisors included J. B. Thornton, D. W. Steele, and Elisha Seale. The outbreak of the Civil War severely dampened enthusiasm for this educational effort, and declining interest forced the institute to close before the end of the war. Postwar efforts to revive the project, including an attempt under the revised name of Jasper County Male and Female High School, had failed by 1878. The same year, however, Jasper Collegiate Institute was replaced by a new organization, Southeast Texas Male and Female College.

Beaumont Enterprise, September 9, 1945. Benjamin Wiley Martin, Some Early Educational Institutions of East Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1924). James M. McReynolds, A History of Jasper County, Texas, Prior to 1874 (M.A. thesis, Lamar State College of Technology, 1968).
Categories:
  • Education
  • Defunct Elementary and Secondary Schools

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Jasper Collegiate Institute,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/jasper-collegiate-institute.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995