Jennings, TX


By: Vista K. McCroskey

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Jennings, on Farm Road 905 and Big Sandy Creek four miles southeast of Paris in southeastern Lamar County, was named for the brothers Wiley P., John, and William Jennings, who first settled the area. The Jennings community had a post office from 1885 to 1907. Though the railroad had bypassed the community by 1890, that year Jennings had two general stores and a drugstore, and mail for its twenty-five residents was delivered triweekly. By 1892 mail was delivered daily, but the local drugstore had closed. The Jennings school had one female teacher and thirty-eight students in 1896. During the 1930s Jennings had the school, a cotton gin, two stores, and thirty inhabitants. In 1937 the community reported sixty-nine students in elementary school and thirty-five in high school. In the late 1940s the Jennings population peaked at sixty. A 1963 map identified Jennings as a small, scattered collection of homes. The community was still named on the 1983 county highway map.

Thomas S. Justiss, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Lamar County with a Plan for Their Reorganization (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1937).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vista K. McCroskey, “Jennings, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 03, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/jennings-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Jennings
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380001
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Lamar County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.57982950°
  • Longitude: -95.46634320°
Population Counts
People Year
85 2009