Jerusalem, TX (Freestone County)


By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: February 1, 1995


Jerusalem, on the banks of Upper Keechi Creek five miles southeast of Teague in west central Freestone County, had a school for black students by 1891. In 1893 the school had sixty-seven pupils enrolled, but by 1903 it had only seven. The community also had the Jerusalem Church. In the 1930s Jerusalem had a church, a cemetery, and a number of dwellings. The church and the cemetery remained at the site in the late 1980s.

Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Jerusalem, TX (Freestone County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/jerusalem-tx-freestone-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

February 1, 1995

Place
Jerusalem
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1360236
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Freestone County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.67544920°
  • Longitude: -95.88218350°