Jewel, TX


By: Julius A. Amin

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Jewel (Jewell) was four miles southeast of Carbon in south central Eastland County. It was founded in the early 1870s, and a post office opened there in 1876. By 1892 the town had an estimated population of 100, a school, a gin, and several churches and stores. When the Texas Central Railroad bypassed the town, most of its residents moved to Shinoak or Gorman. The community's post office closed in 1906, and by the mid-1930s Jewel was no longer shown on the county highway map. In the late 1980s only a cemetery marked the site of the former settlement.

Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, 800 Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas: Frontier, 1971). The History of Eastland County, 1873–1973.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Julius A. Amin, “Jewel, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/jewel-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Jewel
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Eastland County
Associated Names

Jewell

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.21485900°
  • Longitude: -98.77866930°