Jines, in southern Ochiltree County, was named for the brothers Alfred M. and Sherman Jines. Originally from Illinois, the Jines brothers had already enjoyed success as ranchers and real estate promoters in western Kansas and Sherman County, Texas. In 1894 the brothers bought choice land on Wolf Creek south of Ochiltree and soon built up their cattle herds. Seeking to start a new town, they established a post office in December 1895, with Sherman as first postmaster. From 1896 to 1901 A. M. Jines served as Ochiltree county sheriff. The brothers' plans suffered a setback when severe weather in the winter of 1902–03 temporarily depleted their livestock herds. Although the brothers eventually recovered financially, their townsite failed to develop, and in November 1905 the post office was discontinued. A. M. Jines then opened a real estate office in Ochiltree, and both brothers continued ranching and banking successfully. After Perryton was founded in 1919, the Jines family made it their home and center of operations.