Joe Beatty Creek


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Joe Beatty Creek rises at the foot of the south bluff of Palo Duro Canyon in southwestern Armstrong County and runs northeast for two miles to join the Prairie Dog Town Fork of the Red River. The stream was once part of the JA Ranch and was named for a JA cowboy. Charles Goodnight's Old Home Ranch was located in the vicinity.

Armstrong County Historical Association, A Collection of Memories: A History of Armstrong County, 1876–1965 (Hereford, Texas: Pioneer, 1965). Harley True Burton, A History of the JA Ranch (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1928; rpt., New York: Argonaut, 1966).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Joe Beatty Creek,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 14, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/joe-beatty-creek.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995