Johnson Chapel, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: February 1, 1995


Johnson Chapel, on Farm Road 49 ten miles west of Gilmer in western Upshur County, was probably settled before 1900. In the mid-1930s the community had a church, two businesses, and a number of houses. After World War II the businesses closed, and in the mid-1960s all that remained of the community was a church and a few scattered houses. In 1990 Johnson Chapel was a dispersed rural community.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Johnson Chapel, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/johnson-chapel-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

February 1, 1995

Loading